Friday, December 21, 2012

Paleo: Olive, garlic & lemon chicken

Some facts about me and cooking:

  • I don't exactly like to cook. My tastebuds hate me. That makes it very difficult when I can't sample what I'm cooking.
  • My idea of cooking is spaghetti, 4 cheese sauce, and pickles on top because it takes 9 minutes from start to finish.
  • I can cook if I really want to. Meaning, I can cook when I'm trying to impress my hubby.
  • If it were up to me I would hire a personal chef... tomorrow. Can I throw in a house cleaner too? One day Marci. One day.

Either way, I'm trying to "expand my horizons" as they say. I normally dislike chicken so this was a big step for me.

This is a chicken recipe I tried that turned pretty good despite the fact that it didn't turn out like the picture. This is probably a good time to mention that I may skip over instructions or miss things. I always tend to add more lemon. Note: Do not add more lemon.

Why do recipe pictures always lie by the way?

How it's suppose to look
 
How it turned out
Uhhh???
 
*Remember Paleo is eating clean. No refined sugar. No dairy. No grains. 
The ingredients can be substituted for non paleo foods if you wish.*
Serves 4

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup butter (or ghee), tallow, coconut oil or poultry fat; we used coconut oil
  • 1/2 lb black olives (kalamata), cut in half; we excluded this
  • 8 chicken thighs, with bones and skin;
  • 3 cups onions, sliced thin;
  • 30 gloves garlic, minced and smashed almost to a paste;
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice;
  • 2 extra lemons, thickly sliced (remove seeds with the tip of a knife);
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken stock;
  • A bunch of picked thyme leaves;
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste;

Technique

  1. Preheat your oven to 350 F.
  2. Melt the first 1/4 cup fat in a large and hot pan and brown the chicken pieces on all sides. It will take about 6 minutes total. Set the chicken aside. May have forgotten the whole browning part here.
  3. Cook the onions until soft, about 3 minutes, and make sure to scrape all the delicious chicken bits off the pan while doing so.
  4. Add the garlic and cook for about a minute, until fragrant. You can season with salt and pepper at this point.
  5. Add the chicken stock, thyme and lemon juice and return the chicken thighs to the pan, skin side up.
  6. Bring to a simmer and put the pan, covered, in the hot oven for about 20 minutes. Just noticed it said oven, oops.
  7. Remove the lid, add the halved olives as well as the lemon slices and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes uncovered.
  8. Serve the chicken with the olive, garlic and lemon sauce as well as with some of the lemon slices.

ENJOY!!!

1 comment:

  1. something Chuck keeps telling me is cooking delicious meals take practice and certain techniques in cooking especially need practice, so I say good for you for giving it a shot and don't give up here :) and I am sure with all those yummy spices it was a pretty good meal :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...